Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Best Homemade Rolls Ever

My husband was in HEAVEN all weekend because I made him one of his favorite meals, turkey sandwiches on homemade rolls with chips and clam dip.....I can't even tell you how excited he was when he came home to this meal. I just bought a turkey breast and roasted it the oven for a couple hours, and then made Chris's mom's yummy homemade rolls, they are to die for: here's the recipe:

-1/2 cup melted butter (I used salted)
-2 eggs
-2 packages of active dry yeast (or 2 Tbsp. of active dry yeast if it's in a jar)
-6 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
-1 tsp. salt
-2 cups warm water
-extra butter for dipping

I use my Kitchen Aid for this, it makes it so easy, but you can do it by hand mixer too. In a bowl add warm water, yeast and sugar, combine until all mixed. Add butter. Add eggs, flour, and salt, mix well. Stir in extra flour until it forms a soft dough. Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 4 min's. Place in a bowl sprayed with non stick spray..let rise 45-60 min's. Punch down and roll out on floured surface. This is a guess, but I rolled it out probably 1/4" thick, you want it pretty thick. I used the biggest circle shaped cutter that I had (the size of a large glass)....cut out, dip one side into melted butter, place on greased sheet and fold top over. Let rise until doubled. Bake at 350 for 15 min's, and then continue to check every minute until light golden brown.

I wish I would have taken a picture, but we chowed these down too fast!
Enjoy, these are heavenly!!

1 comment:

Carol Stevens said...

This sounds like a great meal! The rolls - dipped in butter - YUM! :)