Saturday, July 11, 2009

Banana Bread

I have been downing Banana bread everyday like it's going out of style. My mother in law keeps whipping up batches of banana bread and sending a loaf home with me every week. This last week she didn't cook a batch so I thought I would try my Better Homes and Garden "light" recipe for banana bread.....ummmm...lesson learned, some things should not be messed with. So here is my mother in laws recipe for her banana bread......so good!!!

5 large bananas (2 1/2 cups)
4 well beaten eggs
1 cup shortening
4 cups flour, sifted
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 cups sugar
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

Beat bananas to a liquid in blender or food processor. Add eggs. Cream together shortening and sugar and add banana mixture. Sift together flour, soda, and salt and pour into banana mixture. Pour into 2 well greased loaf pans. Bake at 250 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until done.
Makes 2 loaves.


I have found that in my oven 250 degrees doesn't cut it, I do it at 350 for 6o minutes, and then check it with a toothpick, if I need to bake an additional 5-10 min's and check again.

No comments: