Sunday, October 5, 2008

Cinnamon Apple Crisp (with Caramel)

This is a recipe that I made up. I loved my dad's Apple Crisp growing up, I love Chris's family's recipe, and I love Apple Pie (minus the crust...I know, I must be crazy)...so I came up with this recipe to combine all 3 recipes and I added a few twists of my own. Enjoy!!

Instead of taking my entire afternoon peeling and cutting up fresh apples, I buy canned apple pie filling (this makes the recipe very rich and tasty). I buy the WILDERNESS brand with the Cinnamon N' Spice Apple Filling. You don't have to buy this brand, but just FYI I have never been able to find this at Wal-Mart, so I pick it up at regular grocery stores.

For the filling:
Spray a 13x9 pan with non-stick spray and pour 2 cans of the pie filling in the pan. I take a bottle of lemon juice and just drizzle a small amount over the apples. Then I take cinnamon and sprinkle a little bit over the apples.

For the Apple Crisp Topping: (Note: The Topping Recipe below is already doubled, so don't double it or you will have way toooo much topping....if that's possible :O) )

1 cup flour

1 cup brown sugar

1/4 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1 cup instant oatmeal

1/4 tsp. baking powder

2/3 cup Sugar

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 cube butter

In a dish combine these ingredients. I use a pastry blender and you want to blend it until it all sticks together. Sprinkle over the top of apples.

I sprinkle a little more cinnamon on top, it makes the color look really pretty.

Sprinkle 2 Tbsp. butter cut up over the topping. Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes uncovered.

I top with Whip cream (or vanilla ice cream)

And then drizzle with Smucker's Caramel Ice Cream Topping.

No comments: