Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Chicken Pot Pie

The only Chicken Pot Pie I can ever remember eating as a kid, are those nasty frozed ones from the grocery store. My husband loves them, so I thought I would try to make one. Lots of the ones I found online have tons of butter and fat, so I thought I would try to come up with something delicious but not as high calorie. And since I am going off of memory with this recipe (that can be a scary thing)..I hope I haven't forgot anything!

Ingredients:
2 pie crusts-let's be honest, I went straight to the freezer section and picked one up!
3 Tbsp. butter
1/3 cup onion, chopped
salt and pepper
1/3 cup flour
1 14 oz. can chicken broth
1 14 oz. can cream of chicken soup (it can be the 98% fat free)
1/4 can full of milk
3 cups cubed or shredded cooked chicken or turkey
2 1/2-3 cups favorite veggie blend (I like the country veggie blend, but use whatever your family will eat)

Over medium heat melt butter, throw in chopped onions, sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper and cook until onion is tender. Add flour and whisk-don't let it get too brown or burn, as soon as it's pasty, add the chicken broth and whisk in. Then add cream of chicken and whisk. Let it cook over medium heat until it starts to come to a low boil and thickens up. Add chicken and frozen veggies.

Prepare your pie crusts according to directions on packet.

Spray pie pan with nonstick spray. Place a pie crust layer on bottom. Fill it with chicken and veggie mixture. Place another pie crust on top and seal around the edges.

Cook according to pie directions for 30-40 minutes. Covering the sides of the pie crust with foil 20 minutes into baking.

Let sit 15 minutes to let gravy thicken up and cool down.

Enjoy.

No comments: